Dog gone it

This is our dog Abby:

Of course she’s also known as Babs, Babs-ickles, Boopsie (Pete calls her that one) sometimes Monkey Pants, you get the picture, I don’t want to make you sick or anything. We got her two years ago so that I would quit talking to squirrels. Really truly. Here’s one of them too:


They have names too (Tom and Jerry.) When we moved to Chicago, I got to keep my job – in Morgantown, WV. Not a bad gig. I worked at home 2 or 3 weeks a month and traveled the rest of the time to either Morgantown or one of my sites in Denver, Co or Dayton, Oh. Again, not so bad, I like travel; we love the free rooms and flights we earned. But. There’s always a butt. (Yes, the second t was deliberate.) This is a fairly big butt too. I had just moved to a new city – I knew no one here. I worked at home. With no husband, no kids, no pets….so: “hi there Jerry, howareya?” “need nuts?” “where’s Tom?” You get the picture:
Pumpkin traps, how fun is that? It’s really tough to get a decent shot through leaded glass windows, I’m just sayin. So I named the squirrels, fed them, talked to them – and the plants. I think the plant naming (including the trees in the yard) was what really started to worry Pete. So when we went to Jim’s Bait and Fish (really, that’s the name of the store) to get minnows for the pond and I saw the puppy bins, he didn’t get too upset with me nearly climbing inside to play with all of the babies. Now, I still traveled, so a puppy isn’t a great idea, right? Did you see that face? After months of putting off, trying not to, talking about how impractical it was, we got a dog. Abby. And she’s a really good dog, she housebroke very easily – I was at home all day every day and we know I had time on my hands – scroll back to the squirrels if you’re still unsure. And Pete and I took her to obedience school where we learned how to give her pretty much everything she wanted. (Okay, she learned a few things too.) Obedience school was held at a local kennel – (YAY Dog Spot! )- also something we needed, what with the travel and all. They also offered “doggie daycare.” WHAT? Yep, you read that correctly, daycare for dogs – and it ain’t cheap. I ranted to my poor husband the whole way home the first night I heard about it. My primary point was that if your dog needs daycare, why do you have a dog? Then I went back to work at a local job, 7-4 in an office, not at home. My Babs is less than two years old – and is used to having company all day every day….so you know where I’m going with this right? Yep, Abby spends one day a week (every Wednesday) to be exact – at daycare. Running with the big dogs, hanging with her humans, in short, enjoying a dog’s life. And she comes home, drags her tired butt (there it is again) upstairs to crash in our bed. Yes our life has gone to the dog’s – and we don’t mind at all.
Here’s a picture of my granddog (Karl), just cause he’s so darn cute – the caption is courtesy of my son Chris, Karl’s faithful companion.

"THROWITTHROWITHTROWITTHROWIT, YOUGONNATHROWIT? THROWIT!"

Comments

Popular Posts