Olympics?

Curling. When I hear (or see) the word, I think hair. Maybe weight lifting. Definitely not an ice sport. And most certainly not an Olympic ice sport. This was on TV this morning when I got up. It looks like a bizarre cross between shuffleboard and extreme home ec. I don’t get it? Does anyone get it? When did this become a sport? And why?

I can just see the neighborhood kids out gathering groups for pick-up games of curling. Okay, maybe not. Okay, definitely not. How does one learn to curl? Let along get picked for an Olympic team? What exactly is that thing they push? It looks like the same stuff that was used to make my bathroom counter – wonder how much that weighs? Are they wearing some flat skates or what? Why do they have one leg behind them in that weird pose? Is that for form - or is a rule that you have to squat with one leg back to shoot? What are they doing with those brooms anyway? I’ve never seen a local curling match (is it a match? A set? Just a game? Maybe a round?) High schools don’t do it, do they? I worked at a University – and we had a Women’s Hockey team – but not curling. So how do curlers (get it, curlers?) make it to Olympic levels – what are the other levels?

So curling, that’s the thought for the day. Just why? (and maybe what, where, when…and oddly, how?)

Comments

Popular Posts