Casper

I thought I looked pretty good when I left the house this morning. It's snowy and crappy, so I'm wearing jeans and boots, but I just got my hair cut, and I showered and everything (even put on make up) before leaving the house, so I just don't get it. I was squelching down the hall toward my office (after managing to find the lines and fit the car between them in the messy parking lot) and greeted the first maintenance guy I saw, who, as always, asked me if I was enjoying the lovely weather. Nothing unusual there. Then I came upon someone I hadn't seen before, but hey, he's a morning guy, I'm a morning person, so "good morning." Nothing. Not even eye contact. I was suddenly invisible. And it's one thing to be invisible if you hadn't said anything - but to have someone walk right by you like you're a ghost AFTER you've cheerfully greeted him is just a little irritating. In fact, it's more than that, it's downright rude. I'm used to this behavior with the young people in offices on my floor. I don't know why, but none of them seem to think it's appropriate to make eye contact or spit out a 'hi, howareya?' to we older folk. Maybe they think age is contageous? At any rate, I've almost come to expect the avoidance from them, but from someone my own age? A rather large (I know, I shouldn't judge by looks - but let's just say he looked jovial) man just stalking by like I had spit at him? Really? This is what the world has come to? I mean, I'm not skipping into work like this is the best part of my week or anything, but neither is it going to make my life any easier to be so surly about it. So I think I'll go out and speak to the office young people today, maybe they think I'm mean for not pressuring them into a greeting or a second of conversation. What's the worst that can happen? They can treat me like I'm invisible - but at least I'll be a friendly ghost.

Comments

Popular Posts