wait a minute...

I don’t like to wait, for much of anything. I don’t really have a great deal of patience. Okay, I may have no patience. If this is a major virtue (and I’ve heard that it is) then I am not very virtuous – by that measure of course. Anyway, waiting. I’ve had to wait for a call this week (and it finally came, but the time dragged by while I, ahem, waited.)

Some good can come of waiting though – the volcanic ash delay for example. While I was quite bummed at the time (trip to Prague is on, trip to Prague is off, postponed, on hold…) You get the idea. There were a number of days over that weekend and in the beginning of the following week where I wasn’t sure if I would be able to go after all (it’s tough to plan a rolling week off of work.) But the plans were made to leave a week later and it all worked out, YAY. The airlines were flying again (did anyone notice how quickly that mess died down?) So on Saturday, April 24th, we left for Prague. I will tell you that flying within a week of reading all about what exactly can happen when a plane flies through volcanic ash did give me the willies - only when we hit turbulence. And I did keep telling myself I was being silly, still, the thought was there. Our flights through Frankfurt were just fine (though I would like to know why the rod in my back sets off their metal detectors but not those here? And WOW, is that full-body pat-down really legal over there?) So we got to Prague – and, I hope you waited for what this has to do with waiting? – we had a week of absolutely stunning weather. Gorgeous. Not too hot, not too cool – and the week before had been rainy, damp, cold (you know, spring-like in Chicago.) So I got to spend my days walking the streets of Prague (in the non-hooker way) taking pictures, shopping at street vendors, eating some great food.



We spent our evenings dining – literally, all evening sometimes. In beautiful rooftop restaurants with views like this:



And we saw Carmen at the National Opera House. I’ve been to the opera once before (see, I know stuff.) We went in Chicago cause Pete’s parents had tickets they couldn’t use. And we were thrilled to see that the opera had subtitles. (Are they still called subtitles when the box is at the top of the stage?) I did wonder how enjoyable Carmen would be in the Czech Republic. C’mon, an opera set in Seville (why are they always set in Spain, anyone?) sung in French (yeah, that’s a little different) and performed in Prague? But yay, Czechs subtitle their operas too – in Czech and English! So that was cool – I love how Carmen can sing for 5 minutes and say, “no.” Funny that, but we had a great time.



And during one day I got to do this:





Yep, a hot air balloon. And it was unbelievable – and you can’t do it in the rain, so the delay was a good thing. Sometimes waiting isn’t all bad….though I’m still fairly sure that it hasn’t made me any more patient.

Comments

Popular Posts